Monday, 10 September, 1979

Demise of Ayatollah Taleghani









“He was for Islam, Abuzar of the time. His expressive tongue was as trenchant and pounding as the sword of Malik Al-Ashtar.” (Imam Khomeini)

The late Ayatollah Taleqani was born to a educated and anti-oppression family in 1910. He began acquiring Islamic concepts under the tutelage of his father Seyyed Abulhassan and continued his studies at Razavieh and Feyzieh schools to achieve the level of Ijtihad. He expressed his anger towards Pahlavi Regime, for the first time in 1939, with issuance of a declaration in protest to ban on hijab which resulted in his arrest and imprisonment. After August of 1941, he created multiple political groups to formally struggle against the regime. He played a prominent role in the movement for nationalization of oil industry and did many efforts to fulfill the rights of Iranian nation. Subsequent to coup of August 19, Ayatollah Taleqani continued his struggles so as he was once again arrested and imprisoned by SAVAK for sheltering Navab Safavi in his house. He joined anti-Pahlavi movement of Imam Khomeini upon its formation and for the very same reason was imprisoned in the same year. After release, he was comprehended once again during the uprising of June 5 and sentenced to 10 years of imprisonment. The indefatigable Ayatollah Taleqani never abandoned struggle even in prison. His speech and behavior even positively influenced prison officers. During the very same time in prison, he authored “A Light of Quran” interpretation to make people acquainted with the greatness and grandeur of Holy Quran. Thanks to domestic and foreign pressures on the Shah, Ayatollah Taleqani was released in 1967, but he continued his struggles and at the threshold of 1971 and coincident with the 2500 year celebration of the Persian Empire he was rearrested and exiled to Zabol, for 3 years, and then Baft, for 18 months. SAVAK comprehended him once again in 1975 and sentenced him to 10 years of imprisonment. He was released at the threshold of the victory of Islamic Revolution and did all his best to contribute to its victory. After the victory, he was appointed the head of the Council of Revolution. He also was elected the representative of Tehran to Assembly of Experts. In the late July of 1979, he was missioned by Imam Khomeini to perform the first Friday Prayer of post-Islamic Revolution era. The indefatigable Ayatollah Taleqani eventually died of heart attack in the early morning of September 10, 1979, after years of scientific activities and political struggles.

Event code : 366



  • Full Name: *
  • Cell Phone:
  • Email: *
  • Newsletter Groups: *